Monday, June 2, 2008

Bible Blog: Psalm 4 – June 2, 2008

Psalm 4: 1-8 (BBE)

“Give answer to my cry, O God of my righteousness; make me free from my troubles; have mercy on me, and give ear to my prayer.
“O you sons of men, how long will you go on turning my glory into shame? how long will you give your love to foolish things, going after what is false? Selah.
“See how the Lord has made great his mercy for me; the Lord will give ear to my cry.
“Let there be fear in your hearts, and do no sin; have bitter feelings on your bed, but make no sound. Selah.
“Give the offerings of righteousness, and put your faith in the Lord.
“There are numbers who say, Who will do us any good? the light of his face has gone from us.
“Lord, you have put joy in my heart, more than they have when their grain and their wine are increased.
“I will take my rest on my bed in peace, because you only, Lord, keep me safe.”


I like this version because it really is “basic English” with the possible exception of the word “Selah”. Do you know what that word means? Not many people do. It means we are to stop, meditate on what has just been spoken or read, really pull it apart and digest what is being said and then personalize it and take it to heart. David is challenging us and then telling us to take a break and think about the challenge he has just made… let’s do that…

Challenge #1: How long are we going to take the good things God gives us and turn them into something cheap and meaningless?
Challenge #2: How long are we going to reject the good things God offers and pursue things that don’t matter?
Challenge #3: Search your heart for the cause of your anger and deal with it within yourself and with God before it is mentioned to another.

David doesn’t ask you to meditate on the protection and joy God gives us that is mentioned after the challenges are made, but I think it’s reasonable to reflect on those as well and remember that through it all He keeps us safe. I hope you don’t mind that I am not giving my answers here… this needs to be a personal exercise and time for you to really communicate with God about what He wants you to learn. I pray you will be open to what he reveals to you!

Hugs & Love

No comments: